Last night I did my lightning talk to Northeast UK tech group SuperMondays (http://www.supermondays.org). The overall topic for the night was programming languages you might not have heard of.
How could I pass up the chance to pimp my favourite web application language? So I offered to talk about CFML.
As per usual its been far too long since I wrote anything on my blog, so it seems fitting that I join in with the "How I got started with ColdFusion." day.
I suppose I should start with where I actually started with this Internet malarkey.
I'm currently refactoring some code from a client website to be used in a standalone application. I've been having some fun sorting through old legacy code, as well as some interesting ummm... code written by various past developers.
Hidden in amongst the chaff I found a slightly unusual bit of code that made me scratch my head.
One of my colleagues pestered me just now asking me why his Tinyint(1) on MySQL was being mangled by ColdFusion so that it only ever returned 1 or 0.
You read the documentation on numeric data type is MySQL and you see "BIT is a synonym for TINYINT(1)" or "BOOLEAN is a synonym for TINYINT(1)", so when ColdFusion returns only 1 or 0 for a TINYINT its kind of understandable.
I realised the other day when I was talking to a friend that my previous post on manually creating ColdFusion instances was kind of missing the last part of the process.
You've created a ColdFusion instance. You can start it up and you can access the admin. You've even made sure that proxy port is active, but now what? How do I manually hook up my shiny new instance to a web server? So I thought I'd write up this bit as well.
I haven't used IIS in a long time, so I'm not even going to contemplate how you would manually set that web server up with ColdFusion, but I can tell you how to connect Apache.
Very brief blog post.
I've been working on my longpolling blog posts trying to resolve why I'm having problems with the dynamic channel creation with ColdFusion 9.0.1.
I've been trying to call my application from Firefox and Chromium on the same laptop. Firefox has been working beautifully, but Chromium 10 has not been playing nice.
Finally (I can be a stubborn fool sometimes) I decided to check from Internet Explorer, Safari and Firefox from my desktop all of which work first time, but Chrome just wasn't working.
For the record this is the change :
In FABridge.js if you change:
if (/Explorer/.test(navigator.appName) || /Konqueror|Safari|KHTML/.test(navigator.appVersion))
if((!(/Chrome/.test(navigator.appVersion))) && ((/Explorer/.test(navigator.appName) || /Konqueror|Safari|KHTML/.test(navigator.appVersion))))
Thank you Tom! Much appreciated! Only wish I'd looked sooner!
In the past I've blogged about manually deploying ColdFusion instances on Multiserver JRun and Apache. For a while now I've been meaning to write about the process of doing a complete manual creation of a JRun instance and deploying Adobe ColdFusion Server on that instance.
Why? Well. Its something I do all the time and its actually really easy. But why? Well I broke my JRun admin instance about 18 months ago. I couldn't fix it and no one seemed to be able to help me, so I resorted to manually creating and deploying ColdFusion instances on JRun.
Before Christmas, one of my colleagues had the exact same problem I has with JRun admin as I had. She asked me if I knew how to fix it. Having spent time on it and abandoned it I told her to manually create her instances. Inevitably she asked me if I'd written it down anywhere. Of course, I haven't, so now I'm going to.
I'm not entirely sure why, but I've had a sudden urge to write a blog round up! So here we go :
I seem to have managed to write a blog posts worth in comments on two of the resulting blog posts, so I decided that perhaps I should post them to my blog and round them off a bit with a few thoughts.
I'm tinkering with a little project and having moved my blog to HostmediaUK I've decided to have more of a play with ColdFusion 9 features.
I've looked at ColdFusion 9's ORM stuff a couple of times, but I've never actually used it properly, so I thought I'd write the database access functionality using ORM.